Sunday, July 4, 2010

I wrote a status on my facebook page today. That status was something about the day, and how I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day. I made a small, but rather significant typographical error. It's one, in my younger years that I would have jumped on, criticized and let get to me before I ever complimented the full thought, which was truly just a gentle wish for a Happy Independence Day. The only comment I got was on the little error I had made. I had typed 224 years ago, as opposed to 234 years ago.

It's an error, and I won't deny it, but this is what is tearing this country apart, limb by limb. We are so ready to focus on the negative that we don't even think to look to the positive. I was once that person. I couldn't find the positive in anything. What has taught me, over and over again, that I needed to focus on the positive, is what I have seen since I came back to the US.

We are too ready to hate, and not ready enough to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment