Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Embarking on a New Blog

I've been writing on facebook and on Twitter and I had a few people ask me if I had a blog. I have ranted and raved, on and off, for the last two years (!) about my thoughts on sports and sports news.

A while ago, I started playing around with facebook. I noticed all the inane status messages and didn't want to be 'those people'. I (guilty as charged) may have contributed a few myself. I come from a background of writing in an 'online diary' under the guise of an anonymous name for almost 10 years. I still keep that online diary, and unless you know about it already, don't ask me about it. I was accustomed to 'putting myself out there'. Facebook gave me an interesting conundrum: how do I 'put myself out there' without sounding trite and predictable. So, I started putting my thoughts about 'being human' out there.

Then I wandered over to Twitter. I found another mystery. Why does The_Real_Shaq (capital letters removed to prevent shouting) have more followers than The White House? That's not really a mystery, but it's a question I wanted to ask. The mystery for me was how to be even 'more pithy' (all apologies to the people who cringe when they are reminded of Bill O'Reilly).

Somehow, I found a group of people on Twitter following JoeNBC and the next thing you know, I felt the closest to home that I have felt since I started getting readers on that online journaling site. But unlike there, I didn't feel like I needed to watch my words and thoughts. In fact, a little like facebook, I felt encouraged. But unlike facebook, I felt like I had people who wanted to 'hear more'.

So, after a few more days, I decided to start a second blog.

Here I am. Here will be my thoughts on a lot of things: healthcare reform, the death penalty, abortion, American life and life around the world, freedom, the pursuit (or the lack thereof) of happiness and so much more. Yes, I know. Some of these are 'hot button' issues. Some of them I have no opinion or very little opinion on. But I always end up seeing the middle on a lot of issues... I also think that the Silent Majority isn't what we think it is, it's the moderates who really are tired of having those on the left and right pushing thoughts into our head.

The simple purpose of this blog is to find the center. It's not a bad place. Join me...

No comments:

Post a Comment