Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fake Media

Hello World.

Several people aren't dead. Several people haven't tried to kill themselves.

That's breaking news.

Pardon me for speaking a little out of turn but I am frustrated. I am frustrated because over the last year (and even longer) I have seen the 'news' media tell the public that 'such and such' a person was dead, in the hospital dying, had tried to commit suicide or had even had someone try to stalk them or kill them.

...only to find out that they weren't dead, dying or in any sort of danger...

I am sick and tired of up-to-the-minute reporting that reports something false or not-nearly-true. I could go on, how back when I was in college taking my journalism courses, I was told I couldn't put a story in the newspaper because it was 'unsubstantiated'. I don't think that in today's media that the word 'unsubstantiated' even exists.

The media, in general, is so ready to report a news story that they tell you that someone has died before they have died and that they heard it from someone who heard it from someone. Would you like to have been part of Michael Jackson's family, thinking it might be false only to find it's true? Or would you like to have been Jaclyn Smith's family or Zach Braff's family in the last few hours and days? Both of them are still alive and yet...

It's sad. It's really sad.

Where is the objective and substantiated reporting? Did it die when CNN got competitors, or did it die when CNN came on the air? Who knows, but it's really beginning to bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment